NHD Employment Opportunities
No positions available at this time.
Fall and Spring Internship Opportunities
NHD welcomes new interns each semester. Applicants can apply to be part of the program in the fall and spring semesters, and earn credit through the History Department at the University of Maryland. Those selected will assist with developing teacher resources, programming, summer institute planning, contest preparations, and alumni development in our College Park office. Interested students for the fall and spring should submit their resumes to [email protected].
NHD’s communications internship is available every semester, including summer semesters. Applicants can apply to earn credit through the Department of Communications at the University of Maryland. Those selected for the internship learn a multitude of skills related to non-profit administration. Interns also create a project during the course of the semester that can be used in a portfolio or as work example for future positions. Interested applicants should submit resumes and letters of introduction to [email protected].
Full Communications Internship Description
This is an opportunity for a creative student with a passion for non-profit administration and communications. The selected candidate will work directly with the Director of Communications on publicity and communications. The National History Day (NHD) offices are located within walking distance of the University of Maryland campus and the College Park Metro stop.
Each communications internship is designed to meet the needs of the student. If you want experience in social media, we can help you with that. If you want experience with press relations, we can help you with that. We tailor internship experiences to meet the learning outcomes of the student.
Internship responsibilities may include:
• Writing copy for social media
• Media tracking
• Pitching stories to media
• Monitoring social media outlets
• Development and donor relationship work
• Editing web and press copy
• Drafting copy for various audiences
• Organizing press clipping
• Other tasks as necessary or assigned
Each intern will create a project piece as part of the internship. This is a project designed with the candidate and the Director of Communications at NHD.
Previous projects include:
• Social media manual that details writing for various social media platforms,
• Social media calendar that covered what things could be posted on various dates
• Creation of an outreach kit designed for conferences and conventions.
Each project is unique and will be designed with the student.
To apply, send your resume along with a brief letter detailing your desired outcomes from the internship and a paragraph about your proposed project to [email protected].
Summer Internship Opportunities
NHD also takes on two interns to help with the National Contest. The two positions are available during the month of June, 2016. Those selected will assist the national staff with preparations, administration and clean-up of the National Contest. It is a fantastic opportunity for an energetic, self-starter who wants to be a part of what happens behind the scenes at NHD.
1. You must be a past NHD participant (at any level).
2. You must be enrolled in college and have completed at least two years.
3. You must be at least 18 years old.
4. Any major can apply.
5. You must be able to join the national office by June 1st at the latest and stay through the end of the month.
National History Day provides:
1. Housing in an apartment-like setting. Housing is near the College Park Metro stop, with easy access to downtown Washington, D.C., and our interns usually spend their weekends sightseeing.
2. A modest spending allowance
Interns must provide:
1. Transportation to and from Maryland
2. Spending money to tour Washington, D.C., and surrounding areas.
Submit a completed intern application (with required materials) by March 11, 2016. Applicants will be notified in early April.
Send your completed application materials to:
National History Day
4511 Knox Road, Suite 205
College Park, MD 20740