Transforming Your Classroom with NHD
National History Day (Day) motivates students to discover history by:
- Cultivating interest: students research a topic of their choice
- Developing research skills: students act as historians discovering how to uncover primary sources, build historical context and form historical interpretations
- Becoming experts on their research topic: presenting their research to teachers, students, and historians
- Achieving success: The shy student gains confidence when speaking about a topic he/she has researched, The apathetic student gains passion by choosing a topic of personal interest, and The high achieving student increases his/her ability to articulate learning through presentation.
- This page contains the 2016 Theme Sheet, 2016 Theme Book, and 2016 Sample Topics Sheet.
- A National Program Evaluation on how and why the NHD Program works.
- This is a report of how and where NHD aligns with the Common Core Standards.
- This page contains student project examples from previous contest years to help aid in the development of an NHD project.
- These contest evaluation forms can be used to help assess student projects.
- These check-off sheets will guide your students as they review their entry to make sure they have followed NHD rules for their chosen category.
NHD and the Common Core Standards
Teacher Resources, Middle School Level
NHD has developed a guide for middle school students to structure and monitor student learning and research projects. Each one can be customized to fit your class.
Teacher Resources Middle School Level (Download)
Teacher Resources, High School Level