Campus Parking and Transportation
There are multiple methods of transportation available when getting to the contest and around campus while at the contest. Below are tabs that explain parking on the University of Maryland campus and the free NHD Shuttle Bus operated specifically for National History Day Contest participants.
Parking On Campus
The University of Maryland (UMD) has a complex system for parking on campus. Please help us help you avoid receiving parking citations by carefully reading this material and all signs around campus. National History Day (NHD) and UMD’s Conferences & Visitor Services cannot be responsible for parking citations issued to participants or their families, and will not pay for them. NHD has no control over campus parking or parking rates.
If you have a car on campus, you must either display an appropriate parking permit or park in paid hourly visitor parking areas. It is especially important for the safety and security of all visitors that you cars do not park in areas designated as fire lanes, handicapped spaces, or service and courier pass areas. Parking in roadways, pedestrian walkways, or on landscaped areas is also prohibited.
Residence Hall Guests
- If you are staying in a residence hall on campus, a summer guest parking permit is included. Request your parking permit when you check in to campus housing.
- Resident permits are valid in lots 1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 11, 15, 16, and 17. Permits are not valid at any meters or paystations.
- Please carefully read parking lot signs and do not park in any lot beginning with a letter (staff lots).
- Because parking is limited around the center of campus, please park ONLY in the lots as indicated on your summer guest parking permit closest to your residence hall and walk to the competition sites.
Commuters and Spectators
Option A: Pre-Purchasing
- If you are a commuter or spectator, NHD and UMD strongly encourage you to purchase permits in advance.
- Pre-purchase daily or competition-long permits at https://umd.aceparking.com. You will find the various NHD parking permits on this page, including the week-long permits for $45 as well as single day permits for $14. Please note that parking for the Awards Ceremony on Thursday IS included in the week-long permit price. Or, you may purchase a Thursday-only permit for the Awards Ceremony.
- After selecting a permit, click “More Info” to see locations and details. You can create an account with Ace Parking or choose to continue as a guest. When your purchase is complete, you will receive an email with a PDF of the permit. You are responsible for printing out the permit and displaying it appropriately.
Option B: Purchasing After Arrival to Campus
- If you are a commuter or spectator, NHD and UMD strongly discourage you from purchasing permits after arrival to campus.
- Saturday, 6/13 (2:00-8:00 PM) -- If you are arriving on Saturday, a laptop and printer will be available for online permit purchases in the Colony Ballroom at the Stamp Student Union.
- Sunday, 6/14 (9:00 AM-8:00 PM) -- You may purchase permits at registration check-in from representatives from the UMD Department of Transportation Services (DOTS). Only credit cards will be accepted for permit purchase at check-in.
- Monday-Wednesday, 6/15-6/17 -- You will not be able to purchase permits at Registration Check-In. You may either purchase permits online or park in designated visitor parking lots and pay the hourly/daily fee. The Department of Transportation's office in Regents Drive Garage will have terminals for you to purchase and print permits online during business hours, 8:15 AM-4:00 PM Mon-Fri.
If you are arriving on Monday, 6/15 or Tuesday, 6/16, you are considered a late registrant and may purchase a parking permit by using the ground level visitor pay meters in Regents Drive Garage and walking to The Department of Transportation's office in Regents Drive Garage. Permits can be purchased and printed at terminals there.
Dropping off Exhibits or Props
- Due to current construction on campus, please plan ahead for dropping off exhibits or props at Stamp Student Union.
- The only place to drop off exhibits or props is next to Stamp Student Union on Union Lane. To get there, drive up Campus Drive toward Stamp Student Union and turn right onto Union Lane. Pause BRIEFLY in the slip next to Stamp to unload props and exhibits. Drivers MUST remain with their vehicles at all times.
- The driver must quickly move the car to the appropriate parking area.
- Staff will be stationed to help unload to the curb and keep cars moving.
Thursday, June 18: Awards Ceremony
- There will not be on-site sales for parking permits at the Xfinity center for the 2020 Awards Ceremony. If you are a commuter or spectator who has pre-purchased permits (either the week-long inclusive permit or the one-day pass valid for Thursday only), you may park in any of the lots listed on the prepay permits including: 4b, 5, 6 (TTG), 9b, 11b.
- You MUST have a prepay permit to park in these lots.
- Limited metered parking is available at the Xfinity Visitor Lot (XVL), on a first come first serve basis. Campus meter rates are $3/hr.
- Judges’ parking permits are NOT valid for the Awards Ceremony.
Click HERE for a campus parking map.
COLLEGE PARK METRO
The College Park Metrorail (Metro) Green Line station is located a short distance from campus. To walk the approximate 1.5 miles from the Stamp Union to the Metro, head east on Campus Drive towards Route 1 and turn right at Regents Drive. Regents Drive crosses Route 1 and turns into College Ave. Continue on College Ave for approximately half a mile and then turn right onto Columbia Ave. The Metro Station will be on your left.
To drive to the Metro, exit campus through Campus Drive (the main entrance), cross Route 1 (the road then becomes Paint Branch Parkway), then follow signs to the Metro. Please note that a Metro SmartCard is required to exit the parking garage. You can buy one at most Metro stations.
A free History Day charter shuttle bus will be available as listed below; it will shuttle between campus and the College Park Metro, departing and returning to the bus stop located across from the front of Stamp Union on Campus Drive. Look for the “National History Day” sign in the front window of the bus. Buses will make a continuous run approximately every 35 minutes on the following schedule. (Please be aware that current construction on campus has affected shuttle routes and is lengthening ride times.) Seats are not guaranteed and you may have to wait at peak times.
2020 NHD Shuttle Schedule
College Park Metro Loop (Stops at Stamp Student Union):
Saturday, June 13, 1:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Sunday June 14, 9:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Monday, June 15, 7:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Tuesday, June 16, 7:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Wednesday, June 17, 7:00 AM - 9:30 PM
Evening Loop (Stamp Student Union to Downtown College Park to College Park Metro to Residence Halls)
(no stops at Stamp after 8:30 PM)
Saturday, June 13, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sunday, June 14, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Residence Hall Loop (Stops at Stamp Student Union, Regents Drive Garage, and Residence Halls on North Campus)
Saturday, June 13, 2:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Sunday, June 14, 8:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Monday, June 15, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday, June 16, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Wednesday, June 17, 7:00 AM - 10:30 PM
Thursday, June 18, 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM
(Xfinity Center added to loop on Thursday)
NHD participants are also welcome to ride the regular Shuttle-UM bus to/from the College Park Metro station. The 104 College Park Metro bus picks up and drops off at Regents Drive Garage. Current bus schedules can be found online at http://dots.umd.edu/schedules.html.