Sacrifice for Freedom®: World War II in the Pacific
Sacrifice for Freedom®: World War II in the Pacific Student & Teacher Institute provides an opportunity for 16 student/teacher teams to study World War II in the Pacific in Honolulu, Hawai’i in summer 2020.
A team is comprised of one student and one teacher.
- Students must be enrolled in tenth or eleventh grade in the 2019-2020 academic year to be eligible.
- Teachers can teach grades 4-12 from any subject area. School librarians are eligible for this program. Teachers may come from any type of school (public, parochial, charter, private, or homeschool).
Teams selected will work over the course of the program to research the life of a Silent Hero® who died in World War II and is buried in or memorialized at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu, Hawai’i.
Teams need to be available for travel from June 24 - July 1, 2020 (mainland teams will fly overnight and arrive home on July 2). The program will begin in January with required online course work and continue after summer travel with the completion of the Silent Hero profile for www.NHDSilentHeroes.org.
Interested teachers and students need to complete the application form by midnight ET on Monday, December 2, 2019. Within the form teachers will be asked to submit:
- Teacher resume (one page, double-spaced maximum);
- Teaching philosophy - one page, double spaced;
- Teacher interest in World War II in the Pacific - one page, double spaced;
- Student interest in World War II in the Pacific - one page, double spaced;
- Parent / guardian permission form.
**Note: please scan all three documents into one PDF file. You will be prompted to upload this single PDF in the form. Please name your file: Teacher Last Name - Student Last Name
Guidelines for application
- Teachers are allowed to apply once. If a teacher wants to consider multiple students, that should be handled at the school level. If multiple students are interested, the teacher might consider having each of them write the required student interest essay and asking an outside review panel to select the applicant.
- Students must currently be in tenth or eleventh grade to apply.
All completed applications submitted before the deadline will be considered, and all applicants will receive notification of the decision no later than December 19, 2019.
Questions about this program can be directed to Ashley Dabbraccio (Ashley@nhd.org, 301-405-0535).
This program is sponsored by