#Sacrifice4Freedom Twitter Contest
WASHINGTON, D.C. – National History Day (NHD) announced today the #Sacrifice4Freedom Twitter Contest. This contest is an opportunity for middle and high school students enrolled in 6th-12th grade to earn prizes while recognizing and honoring our nation’s heroes between Memorial Day and DDay.
Military and ordinary citizens alike faced complex challenges during World War II and made sacrifices to maintain personal freedoms. The work week between May 26, 2014 and June 6, 2014, NHD is hosting the #Sacrifice4Freedom Twitter Contest for students to recognize and promote understanding of the historical impact individual sacrifices have on freedom today. During the contest, a prompt will be sent out at 8:00AM ET every day during the work week by @NationalHistory on Twitter. Students will tweet their responses using #Sacrifice4Freedom, and NHD will select the best tweets each day and post them online. Five overall winners will be selected to receive prizes including books, videos, and cash up to $500.00.
“The sacrifice veterans have made for this country is something that all citizens should respect and recognize,” said NHD Executive Director Dr. Cathy Gorn. “Giving students the opportunity to examine and think about how sacrifice and freedom are linked can make them become better citizens, and appreciate their freedoms.”
#Sacrifice4Freedom Twitter Contest Rules:
- Eligible contest participants must be a current 6th-12th grade aged students, and be able to provide proof that they are a currently a student at that grade level.
- Students should only submit Tweets using one account.
- Students who wish to be eligible for prizes must register their Twitter account at http://www.nhd.org/SacrificeContest.htm before the end of the contest.
- Only tweets developed during May 26th and June 6th 2014 with the hashtag #Sacrifice4Freedom submitted by students in the described grade and age range will be eligible for the prizes.
- The winners will be announced on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
- Tweets are subject to the review and selection by National History Day staff.
ABOUT NATIONAL HISTORY DAY:
NHD is a non-profit education organization based in College Park, MD. Established in 1974, NHD offers year-long academic programs that engage over half a million primary and secondary students around the world in conducting original research on historical topics of interest. These research-based projects are entered into local affiliate contests, where the top student projects have the opportunity to advance to the national competition at the University of Maryland at College Park. NHD also seeks to improve the quality of history education by providing professional development opportunities for educators. NHD is sponsored in part by HISTORY™, Kenneth E. Behring, Weider History Group, Inc., WEM Foundation, National Endowment for the Humanities, and Southwest Airlines. For more information about NHD, visit www.nhd.org.